JOB TITLE: Software Developer DATE: 08/10/06
LOCATION: Support Center
REPORTS TO: Mgr of Software Development
DIRECTLY SUPERVISES: N/A
JOB SUMMARY –List, in three sentences or less, the general purpose of the job and the products/services associates in the job are expected to provide.
The Software Developer’s role is to provide programming support for new and existing information systems based on user specifications with guidance from other staff members. Consults with and provides users with assistance in determining program enhancements and maintenance required. Has knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures.
JOB CONTENT - List each of the job’s specific duties. A job duty is a group of tasks that make up a distinct and major activity involved in the work performed. List job duties in order of importance. Provide a percentage estimate of the amount of time an associate spends performing each specific duty. The percentages for each duty should add up to 100%. Include only those job duties that account for 5% or more of work time. It is important to identify equipment/materials used to perform each task.
- Performs program maintenance, modifications, and enhancements to new/existing systems through programming, testing, documenting and training users.
- Able to effectively manage time while working on multiple assignments with guidance as to relative priorities of assignments.
- Confers with user personnel and department representatives in resolving questions of program/system intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, and inclusion of internal checks and controls.
- Works under direct supervision with work checked regularly.
- Learns company systems and how they are automated.
- Provides on-call technical support
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- All Southeastern Freight Lines Associates are responsible for being personally committed to the principles of the Quality Improvement Process and applying these principles to realize a continuous improvement in the quality of work performed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - Identify the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to competently perform the job. These may include education/training levels, licenses/certifications, work experience, skill levels and any necessary physical or mental abilities. Be specific and realistic.
- Four-year college degree in computer science, computer information services, computer engineering, mathematics, or related field or 1 to 3 years data processing experience as a software developer and a four-year college degree.
- Must have knowledge of data processing fundamentals, programming languages, and job control
- Expected to develop proficient knowledge of in-house programming languages, job control languages associated with HP Integrity Clusters, program design and development procedures, turnover procedures, and housekeeping standards.
- Able to perform analysis of straightforward system functionality with support of more senior software
- Expected to develop proficient knowledge of general system architecture and functionality, as well as proficient knowledge of specific sub-systems.
- Able to perform basic analysis of user requirements and existing system functionality in order to design workable solutions with some guidance from more senior software engineering associates.
- Hands-on software and troubleshooting experience.
- Experience with data management.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Adept at reading, writing, and interpreting technical documentation and procedure manuals.
- Ability to conduct research into software issues and products as required.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS – The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits employers from discriminating against disabled individuals. If disabled individuals can perform the essential duties of a job with or without reasonable accommodation, they cannot be discriminated Describe in detail the physical requirements that are necessary to perform the essential job duties adequately and any extraordinary working conditions that the associate performing the job may be subjected to. Physical requirements are physical actions that are necessary to perform the job appropriately.
- On-call availability, especially when additions/changes have been made – 7 by 24.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components.
The statements contained in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by Associates assigned to the job. They are not intended to be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the individual(s) holding this position.
Manager of Software Development
Southeastern Freight Lines, Inc.