We, Outward Bound Costa Rica, are currently looking for a passionate and self-motivated technically-focused team member to design, implement, and maintain a student information database. The candidate will be responsible for integrating the database with a secure, responsive, web-based user interface where students and parents log-on to enter payment information, medical history, and other sensitive enrollment information.
The Web & Data Manager reports directly to the Communications Director.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Cultural sensitivity
- Willingness and ability to live and work in close quarters with a small group of people
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills
- Spanish language skills (conversational ability or above strongly preferred)
- Personal interest in the outdoors and the mission of Outward Bound
- Ability to multi-task and stay focused despite regular interruption (i.e. drive results)
- Sense of humor and laid-back attitude
- Tenacity about traveling and/or finding personal connections in the greater San Jose area despite challenges (i.e. bad weather, limited transportation options, cultural differences, etc.)
- Openness to collaboration and/or differing opinions
- Ability to manage conflict with openness and tact
- At least one year living, working or studying outside of your home country strongly preferred
- Ability to adapt in a dynamic work environment and make independent decisions
Required Work Experience
- Minimum two years experience as a database developer or administrator
- Minimum one year web-based experience
- Strong demonstrated programming experience in SQL
- Extensive technical knowledge and experience in database management techniques including physical database optimization, data distribution, security, and database performance monitoring
- Extremely detail-oriented
- Motivated to initiate and lead projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop web applications within set brand guidelines
- Experience with web based technologies, explicitly server database implementation
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) to support office-wide initiatives a plus, but not required
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, related field, or equivalent work experience.
Required start date is late August or early September, although an earlier start date is preferred. Contract length is 15 months, with a possible extension as agreed after 12 months. Relocation to Tres Ríos is required.
- Monthly stipend plus food allowance
- 30 days paid vacation
- Travel insurance coverage (WorldNomads) and preventative medical stipend
- Plane ticket to and from Costa Rica
- Private bedroom in a furnished, 4 bedroom / 2 bathroom house on our main base (located SE of San Jose in San Ramon de Tres Rios) – all utilities included (water, electricity, phone, cable TV, wireless internet)
- Access to Outward Bound Costa Rica courses and equipment for personal use
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and resume to Jeff Friend at firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify “Web & Data Manager” in the subject line. Be sure to include details on your availability, both for interviews and ultimate start date.
No phone calls please.