Below is from someone who has hired USC interns in the past, and now wants more.
Ruby on Rails Developer
ultralivetv is looking for an experienced Ruby on Rails developer with top-notch software design and coding skills to lead our development efforts. Our stack includes Ruby, Rails, Cassandra/hbase/Riak, Varnish, nginx, Flash, and HTML/jquery. This position will also be responsible for assisting in the design, implementation, and ongoing care of the company’s infrastructure in both Staging and Production.
Who we are:
ultralivetv is an angel-funded, Los Angeles-based startup. We are building a distributed contextual entertainment business that revolutionizes the community viewing experience by integrating predictive games and social interaction into live video and on-demand viewing. If you know what Convergence means to the set-top box, then you have an idea on what we are trying to do.
Who you are:
- You like internet startups and building Entertainment-oriented companies
- You like learning and exploring new technologies
- You have a passion for software development
- You want to work on software that will make a difference
- You value working on small teams
- Act as the lead developer
- Validate the technical architecture
- Build our 1.0 product offering with us
- Build, test and refine new products and services
- Develop and expand infrastructure to process many millions of page views and transactions with fault-tolerance and predictability
- Tackle a wide variety of coding problems throughout the stack – we all work on everything
- Brainstorm and prototype new concepts and approaches fast. Turn prototypes into real things
- Maintain a high level of flexibility with regards to job responsibilities
- Strong knowledge of Ruby on Rails and strength in all the Rails fundamentals
- Demonstrable track record building distributed, clustered, high-throughput applications that can really scale
- Background in building highly scalable applications designing for n+1 clustering with zero downtime
- Ambitious, driven, and talented individual who wants to work on significant, game-changing problems
- Able to design and write well-structured, easily maintainable, well-documented code
- Solid SQL skills, preferable with MySQL
- Experience with Cassandra/hbase/Riak strongly preferred
- Ability to create well-designed API’s
- Experience with user-centered interaction design
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, EBS, etc.) preferred
This is a contract position with the opportunity for permanent employment in the future. You will report to the CTO. We strongly prefer candidates reside in the Los Angeles region.
Please send your resume, LinkedIn profile, and code samples to email@example.com.