The students in our Capstone Project class, all Seniors, form teams every year in order to design and develop a sophisticated app for an independent customer. This year there were 14 apps developed: web apps, iphone apps, android apps, and desktop apps. The projects vary, from a mobile-accessible database for maintaining geological samples, to mobile apps for monitoring queue lengths at voting stations, to a tablet app for viewing historical maps. You can watch video demonstrations below and get links to the projects' websites. You can also see photos of the students doing live demos.
You are here
The USC Cyber Defense Team placed Second in the state-wide Palmetto Cyber Defense Competition held yesterday in Charleston! The Team, consisting of Alex Cummings, Brian Flick, Jonathan Kilby, Patrick McIntyre, Aadel Ragaban captain, and Catharine West have been training and practicing with the expert assistance of Ronni Wilkinson and Joey Eckstrom.
We congratulate the following graduate students for receiving recognition for their outstanding work. Aspen Olmsted, was named Outstanding Graduate Researcher, Computer Science & Engineering. James O'Reilly was named Outstanding Teaching Assistant, Computer Science & Engineering. They will be listed in the Graduate Student Day Awards Ceremony bulletin.
We are pleased to announce that one of our undergraduate students, Connor Bain, has received a Goldwater Scholarship. The Goldwater Scholarship is awarded nationally to sophomores and juniors pursuing bachelors’ degrees in natural sciences, mathematics, or engineering and who intend to pursue a career in research and/or college-level teaching. Connor has been active in the ARENA. You can read the official announcement.
Dr. Jenay Beer has received a grant from the U.S. Department of Education and Georgia Tech for her project on "Telerobotics Research". The goal of this research is to understand how robots can help older adults with disabilities. The proposed robots work like "Skype on wheels" allowing a person to remain connected with his friends and family.
The Code-A-Thon was a great success by all accounts! Great projects and great participation. There were 12 teams that entered, so competition was stiff, and the winners were:
- 1st Place: Muhammad Nazmus Sakib, Hossen Mustafa, Junaed Bin Halim, and Daniel Pade for their app to do Personal Scheduling.
- 2nd Place: Sujan Pakala, Lingxi Zhou, Yang Song, and Jie Huang for their website on Shopping for Groceries Economically.
- 3rd Place: Daniel Vu, Tyler Wagner, and Mathew Velasquez for their app on Searching for Items You Own.
Congratulations to all entrants!! And special thanks to Barb Ulrich, Randi Baldwin, Ronni Wilkinson, Dr. Tang, and Sherri Altizer for the logistics, and to Boeing IT for their generous sponsorship.
We are proud to announce the following winners of the CSE Annual Undergraduate Awards:
- The award of Outstanding Senior in Computer Information Systems goes to Gergely A. Uszkay.
- The award of Outstanding Senior in Computer Science goes to Logan M. Hood.
- The award of Outstanding Senior in Computer Engineering goes to Jonathan L. Kilby.
- The South Carolina Professional Engineers' Award in Computer Engineering goes to Maximus R. Brandel.