Our graduate students are busy organizing workshops. Ugur Kursuncu is the contact organizer for CySoc2020: International Workshop on Cyber Social Threat, and Manas Gaur is in the contact organizing committee for KiML2020: International Workshop on Knowledge-infused Mining and Learning.
You are here
The deadline to apply for the CSE Department’s John H. Fain Scholarship has been extended to June 1. This scholarship is for upper division Computer Information Systems (CIS) and Computer Science (CS) majors planning to become entrepreneurs. Interested applicants must thoroughly read criteria for the award; if they meet the initial criteria, then they must complete and submit the John H. Fain Scholarship Application by June 1. View criteria and application here
Dr. Jason Bakos has received a research award from the Savannah River National Laboratory (SRNL)/DOE for his project titled "A Unified Machine Learning Framework for Corrosion Surveillance and Quality Control in Additive Manufacturing."
We are proud to announce that Dr. Ioannis Rekleitis has received the National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award for his project titled "Enabling Autonomy via Enhanced Situational Awareness for Underwater Robotics". This is the NSF's most prestigious award in support of early-career faculty who have the potential to serve as academic role models in research and education and to lead advances in the mission of their department or organization. See also a more detailed article about this.
We congratulate our CSE Ph.D. students: Alireza Nasiri, Jing Jin and Steph-Yves Louis from the Machine Learning and Evolution Lab directed by Dr. Hu for winning the second place and $2,000 prize in the Big Data Health Science Case Competition organized by the UofSC National Big Data Health Science Conference, Columbia, SC February 7th-9th 2020. The objective of the case competition is to develop a machine learning or data analytic tool that will accurately identify the culprit chemical for a given patient.
- Dr. Jianjun Hu (first from left) won the Research Progress Award. This award recognizes particularly distinguished performance and accomplishments in the area of research by a tenured or tenure-track faculty member at the rank of Associate Professor in the College of Engineering and Computing.
- Dr. Yiannis Rekleitis (second) won the Young Investigator Research Award. This award recognizes a faculty member at the rank of Assistant Professor for his/her dedication and contributions to the research objectives of the College of Engineering and Computing.
- Dr. Marco Valtorta (third) won the Joseph M. Biedenbach Distinguished Service Award. This award recognizes outstanding service through the College of Engineering and Computing.
Each year the Faculty of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) award four Outstanding Senior Awards. This process is never easy given the many excellent and accomplished students in our program. This year, we have decided that the 2020 Computer Science and Engineering Outstanding Senior Awards go to:
- Samyuktha Comandur (first from left): Computer Science Outstanding Senior Award.
- Joshua Mulliken (second): Computer Information Systems Outstanding Senior Award.
- Andres Pineda (third): Computer Engineering Outstanding Senior Award.
- Caleb Conner (fourth). Computer Engineering SCSPE Award.
All awardees will be honored at the University Awards Day ceremony. In addition, Conner will be honored at a special awards banquet of the South Carolina Society of Professional Engineers
You can find more detailed coverage on the College News page.